Search This Blog

Food Friday



3 shared thoughts
This week's Featured Food Friday player is ...

Ms. Oggi, with her post "Cherry Tomato Confit" on her blog: I Can Do That!

This is a very interesting foodie post from Ms. Oggi. For me, that is. I mean, I have never tried anything like this before. Would love to try it! Click on the shot to know what I am babbling about! :P
------------- oo000oo -------------

I had one remaining big chayote and some dried mushrooms which I didn't want it to go to waste. The mushrooms were still fine, but the chayote had to be cooked. Rummaged through my meager supply and came up with this: Chayote and Mushrooms in Coconut Milk.


Ingredients

  • Chayote (peeled and sliced)
  • Mushrooms (I had dried shiitake mushrooms, which I soaked in water for about fifteen minutes, then sliced; reserve the liquid)
  • Coconut milk powder



Procedure:

  • Place chayote slices as well as the sliced mushrooms inside a pot. Add the reserved water (where the mushrooms were soaked) to the coconut milk powder, then mix in with the chayote and mushrooms. Water must be more than halfway.
  • Let boil then simmer until chayote and mushrooms are tender. Add more water if needed.
  • Since the coconut milk powder that I used is already seasoned, I no longer had to add anything else. But it's your choice: you may add salt/fish sauce/pepper if you want.
  • Remove from fire once satisfied.
  • Delicious when served and eaten warm.



Back home we used to cook the chayote with ground pork, or just with the coconut milk. Adding the mushroom is a first for me and it is a refreshing difference! The mushroom water as well as the mushroom itself gave it another "dimension".

We had that for lunch, paired with fried fish! Loved it! :)

Appreciate much your taking the time to share and link your food posts here at Food Friday! :)
Please don't forget to add a link back to this site (you can get the buttons here; deciding to use text instead of buttons is fine also) to be able to add your posts below. Many thanks and hope everyone is going to have a great time this weekend!






get the InLinkz code

3 shared thoughts:

Winnie at: Fri Oct 18, 06:12:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Oggi is really wonderful - I love her blog!!

I like what you made Maiylah - would love to eat it :)

Jenn at: Sat Oct 19, 12:14:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Tamang tama... marami ng sayote sa palengke ngayon!

Intelliblog at: Sat Oct 19, 01:54:00 PM GMT+8 said...

We call chayote "Choko", here in Australia. I have only sampled it once or twice. I may try again with your recipe, thanks!

Post a Comment

THANK YOU
...for visiting and the comment love!

have a nice day!

newer post older post