Search This Blog

Food Friday



13 shared thoughts
This week's Featured in Food Friday player is...

Ms. Kriska Marie, who blogs over at Sweet Nothings with her post: Welcoming the Year of the Dragon.

Just look at all that food! Every time I see LOTS of food on the table I can't help but gravitate towards them! My hands get itchy, wanting to get some on my plate and savor each and every dish. Honestly, I would have no idea which viand to get first...though usually I go towards the desserts section first since most of the people will be busy on the main table. If you want to look at some of her enticing food shots, then don't forget to click on that YUMMY shot!

---------- 8) - 8) - 8) ----------

My post for this week is inspired by Pinoy Kitchenette's Steamed Tilapia in Ginger post..she steamed her tilapia, while I added coconut milk in mine. Am calling it Tilapia with Coconut Milk and Mustard Greens.

i know, not the best of photos but we all loved the dish! <3

Ingredients:
  • tilapia (2-3 whole fishes; you may cut them in half, if you prefer)
  • coconut milk (one cup thick cream, while around two to three cups thin coconut milk)
  • chili, pepper, salt, ginger, onions
  • fish sauce (optional)
Preparation:
  • Clean the fish (remove gills and scales; or you can have that done by your local fishmonger). Sprinkle salt and set aside. Clean and cut the mustard greens. Set aside.
  • Prepare the coconut milk. Since I used freshly grated coconut meat, I had to hand-press it. This is definitely more tiring, but I like my coconut milk this way. lol. After adding about half a cup of lukewarm water and pressing, I reserved the liquid (about a cup by then), then added half of the sliced onion. I added more water (about two cups) to the coconut meat and did some more pressing again. The resulting liquid I placed in a deep pot. {Or you can use the coconut milk in cans or in powdered forms. Follow the instructions on the container.}
  • Added the crushed ginger, sliced onions (half), salt, and chili to the pot.
  • Placed on the burner, and left to simmer for a bit.
  • The cleaned fishes are then added.
  • Simmer some more..maybe around ten minutes. Add the mustard greens. You may add some more salt or fish sauce..your choice.
  • Add the thick coconut milk with the sliced onions, then remove from the fire when the greens have wilted.
  • Best served hot...and eaten with steamed rice.
...the first time we had this dish was at my SIL's place, but bok choy was mixed in instead of the mustard greens. My Aunt-in-Law mentioned that normally mustard greens are added, so I decided to cook this dish using the greens. The coconut milk tasted different (almost nutty), but it was a welcome change. I thought my 3yr. old wouldn't like the slightly bitter taste of the greens, but he also liked the dish! I was/am so glad...I know I'll be cooking this dish again. Hopefully, with much better pictures next time! ;)

Reminder: Please don't forget to link back (a simple text would be great, or you may use the buttons provided here). Also, please visit the other party-goers and leave some commentluv to let them know that you dropped by. Many thanks! <3




get the InLinkz code

13 shared thoughts:

Dhemz at: Fri Jan 27, 01:01:00 AM GMT+8 said...

ay ang sarap! miss ginataan...kakagutom!

grabi talagang maghanda ang pinoy...dito sa US wala lang...ehehehe!

Kate at: Fri Jan 27, 03:49:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Looks delish. Tilapia is our favorite fish. My husband originally didn't like tilapia with coconut milk but when he tasted my version of it, he loved it ever since. Thanks for the recipe :) Happy weekend!

Oggi at: Fri Jan 27, 06:44:00 AM GMT+8 said...

I love mustasa, both fresh and buro. Your fish dish is making me hungry again and I just ate a large bowl of kimchi fried rice!:D

Arlene at: Fri Jan 27, 01:02:00 PM GMT+8 said...

I love ginataan, Mai. I can yummy fragrance now. But really, haven't had fish since the typhoon sendong - even tilapya di ko pa carry coz i smell them. lol!

It's been awhile since my last entry here. ^^ Today am in. ^^

Tetcha at: Fri Jan 27, 01:51:00 PM GMT+8 said...

I love anything (veggies, seafood, pork, chicken, beef) with coconut milk! I haven't tried using mustard leaves in my ginataang tilapia, though. I usually use pechay, but I'd love to try!

stoic_khail at: Fri Jan 27, 01:55:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Yey! It's Friday :D

Hey, it's of one of my faves but we use... err my mom or aunt use petchay instead. Then they put half of the tilapia in it and half of them fried just to have different texture :)

Jenn at: Fri Jan 27, 04:25:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Ooohhh... another recipe worth trying! Thanks for sharing.

Gene at: Fri Jan 27, 09:36:00 PM GMT+8 said...

I love this version of Ginataang Tilapia. Especially if it's spicy! So yummy! I think anything with gata should be spicy.

Unknown at: Fri Jan 27, 10:37:00 PM GMT+8 said...

i didn't know mustasa can be an ingredient for ginataang tilapia. my mom would love this, except for the tilapia, ibang isda na lang.:p

France@beyondthepeel at: Sat Jan 28, 01:03:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Hi Maiylah. Thanks for hosting. I'm sharing a recipe for roasted maple beets with apples. Have a great weekend.

Lynn at: Sat Jan 28, 01:54:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Eksakto! I was thinking of cooking (ehem...) fish in coconut milk this weekend. I hope I can do something like this.

yue at: Sun Jan 29, 12:03:00 AM GMT+8 said...

fav ko yan! kahit singang lang at may mustasa o kangkong :)

Anonymous at: Wed Feb 01, 11:41:00 AM GMT+8 said...

at akoy nagutom sa ginataang tilapya... :D

Post a Comment

THANK YOU
...for visiting and the comment love!

have a nice day!

newer post older post