Search This Blog

Food Friday



17 shared thoughts
This week's Featured in Food Friday player is....

Mr. Benji Dayo who blogs over at My Stuff (Just About Anything and Everything) with his post:
Dining at Lemongrass Shangri-La Plaza

I like the variety of food that if being offered in this appetite sampler ... it is making me drool! Really. I like the serving, too...it's just right and not too little. Or maybe I just have a big appetite. lol. If your eyes hunger for more delicious food shots coupled with personal reviews on some restaurants, then don't hesitate clicking on that shot!

--------- :robot - :robot - :robot ---------

My post for this week is something that I've eaten lots of times, but cooked for the first time: Vegetable Spring Rolls (also called Beansprout Spring Rolls or Lumpiang Toge).

Since this was the first time that I'd be doing it, I thought I'd search the internet for a recipe that works for me (in other words: simple, easy to follow, and with the ingredients that I like). I easily found Ms. Cusinera's recipe {BUSOG! SARAP!: Lumpiang Toge (Beansprout Spring Rolls)} which I liked.

This is my version of her recipe (do click on the link above if you want to see how she cooked her spring rolls...and I do encourage you to click! :) ) As usual, I modified things a bit. lol


Ingredients used:
  • mungbean sprouts
  • squash, carrots, fried tofu (all julienned)
  • spring roll wrappers
  • onions, garlic, salt, pepper
  • oyster sauce
  • canola oil for sauteing and for frying

tofu, mungbean sprouts, carrots, and squash

Procedure:
  1. I marinated the tofu first (soysauce, pepper, spanish paprika, mixed dried herbs) for a couple of hours. Next I fried the tofu slices then julienned them. Set aside.
  2. The squash and carrots were also julienned and set aside.
  3. Heat the pan and add the oil. Saute the onions first for a couple of seconds, then add the garlic.
  4. Mix in the carrots and squash. Cook just for a few minutes.
  5. Add in the mungbean sprouts. The sprouts will release some water so let it steam. Add salt and pepper.
  6. The oyster sauce is added next, and mixed gently but thoroughly.
  7. Once everything is cooked (but still crisp and not totally limp), turn off the fire.
  8. I tilted the pan to separate the liquid from the vegetables and tofu so that it wouldn't be too wet when I do the wrapping part.
  9. WRAP the mixture in the lumpia (spring roll) wrapper.
  10. Pour enough oil on another pan and fry the wrapped vegetables. Since the filling is already cooked, there's no need to fry it that long; when the wrapper turns golden brown it's time to take it out of the pan and place it on a plate with napkins to absorb the excess oil.
  11. Can be served hot or at room temperature, together with vinegar as a dip.


The lumpia that I cooked tasted slightly sweet, which was a bit weird. But we all loved it! <3

Reminder: Please link back here (you may use the Food Friday buttons located on the right sidebar) if you're playing... and don't forget to visit other players as well and leave them some comment love! thank you.♥

*if you have problems with linking, do send me a message (or make a comment below) since I might be able to help...would hate to miss a food post from you! <3




get the InLinkz code

17 shared thoughts:

Kate at: Fri Nov 04, 04:50:00 AM GMT+8 said...

yummy!!!

Heather S-G at: Fri Nov 04, 05:05:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Oh my gosh, you've given me a huge craving! I adore spring rolls and egg rolls but haven't had either in ages. Wish I could reach in and grab a few. :D

Oggi at: Fri Nov 04, 06:07:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Lumpiang taugeh with tofu is my long time favorite [without the oyster sauce and squash though]. Your lumpia rolls look absolutely mouth watering.:)

Dhemz at: Fri Nov 04, 07:35:00 AM GMT+8 said...

yummmmy! that looks very healthy....:)

IMRIZ at: Fri Nov 04, 08:22:00 AM GMT+8 said...

aw, super loved toge with tofu:) my kids, too:)

i always remember buying lumpyang toge on food vendors whenever i craved for one...with lotsa spicy vinegar please:)

maiylah at: Fri Nov 04, 11:21:00 AM GMT+8 said...


thanks, Kitty Kate
...loved your eerie baked fingers! ;)

thanks, Heather
...and your pork and beans made me want to cook something similar! :)

thanks, Ms. Oggi
...i love lumpiang toge, too!

thanks, Dhemz
...yeah, i think this is relatively healthy. i just wish i can make it crispy without all that oil, though. :P

thanks, Imriz
...oooh, me too! love it with spicy vinegar!

thanks so much for sharing your yummy food posts again, ladies!
enjoy the rest of the week! <3

Kim, USA at: Fri Nov 04, 10:08:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Oh no I stand corrected, lol! Mango pala national fruit natin? Ganun na ba katalaga ka missed ko ang Durian at I declare? Hahaha thanks! Happy weekend!

France@beyondthepeel at: Sat Nov 05, 12:29:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Hi Maiylah, I'm sharing a series of millet recipes that are not only tasty but super cost efficient.

Mirage at: Sat Nov 05, 01:19:00 AM GMT+8 said...

This and pansit are the two favorite food at home that I can't cook. :(

Unknown at: Sat Nov 05, 02:54:00 AM GMT+8 said...

your spring rolls look delicious, Mai. i love spring rolls but to lazy to make them.:p i love the Thai spring rolls, yon lagi ang take out ko when i'm rushing to go somewhere.:p

Arlene at: Sat Nov 05, 08:27:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Hello Mai, pagka pretty ng pagka fold mo sa spring rolls. I dunno which to admire most - the photo or the object itself. Yummmmyyyy gusto ko yan.

It's Saturday but just posted. Humahabol eh. Not feeling so well now. I throw out what i had for breakfast. I really dunno why. Sana hindi sign ng bulimia. lol!

Happy weekend!

maiylah at: Sat Nov 05, 05:32:00 PM GMT+8 said...


hi Manang Kim
...yup, mango ung national fruit natin. lol. ako rin, miss ko na ung durian...

thanks, France
...loved your roundup! will definitely try one of them..will go look for a good millet first!

thanks, G
...naku, kayang-kaya mo yan! just try...! :)

thanks, LM
...oo nga, nakakatamad sa totoo lang. LOL. pero ung craving that time was too much to bear...i just had to make some; ang layo nung fave lumpia vendor ko kasi. :D
...am not sure if i've tried thai springrolls...ung vietnamese palang ata natikman ko.

thanks, 'Lene
...mao ba? hala, hope it's nothing really serious! get well real soon! <3

thank you so much for sharing your blog food posts, ladies!
much much appreciated! <3
have a safe and happy weekend!

MommyandMatt at: Sat Nov 05, 05:41:00 PM GMT+8 said...

a healthy lumpia version? Looks yummy!

Mika at: Sun Nov 06, 06:36:00 AM GMT+8 said...

waaahhhh! Lumpiang toge...now my mouth is watering and really craving for it big time! I am really looking forward of finding where to buy toge here.

Penge ako please! :)

Jayanthy Kumaran at: Sun Nov 06, 08:10:00 PM GMT+8 said...

wow...sounds scrumptiously tasty..
love your space..happy following you..;)
check out mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite

maiylah at: Mon Nov 07, 02:46:00 AM GMT+8 said...


thanks, MommyandMatt
...yup, no meat. though am not sure about the oyster sauce that i used, though...lol

thanks, Mika
...baka meron sa asian shops. :)

thanks, Jay
...much appreciated! will go and follow you back :)

many thanks for the commentluv!
enjoy your day! <3

Angi at: Mon Nov 07, 08:27:00 PM GMT+8 said...

mouth watering!

Post a Comment

THANK YOU
...for visiting and the comment love!

have a nice day!

newer post older post