Ms. Oggi, with her post "Cherry Tomato Confit" on her blog: I Can Do That!
|This is a very interesting foodie post from Ms. Oggi. For me, that is. I mean, I have never tried anything like this before. Would love to try it! Click on the shot to know what I am babbling about! :P|
------------- oo000oo -------------
I had one remaining big chayote and some dried mushrooms which I didn't want it to go to waste. The mushrooms were still fine, but the chayote had to be cooked. Rummaged through my meager supply and came up with this: Chayote and Mushrooms in Coconut Milk.
- Chayote (peeled and sliced)
- Mushrooms (I had dried shiitake mushrooms, which I soaked in water for about fifteen minutes, then sliced; reserve the liquid)
- Coconut milk powder
- Place chayote slices as well as the sliced mushrooms inside a pot. Add the reserved water (where the mushrooms were soaked) to the coconut milk powder, then mix in with the chayote and mushrooms. Water must be more than halfway.
- Let boil then simmer until chayote and mushrooms are tender. Add more water if needed.
- Since the coconut milk powder that I used is already seasoned, I no longer had to add anything else. But it's your choice: you may add salt/fish sauce/pepper if you want.
- Remove from fire once satisfied.
- Delicious when served and eaten warm.
Back home we used to cook the chayote with ground pork, or just with the coconut milk. Adding the mushroom is a first for me and it is a refreshing difference! The mushroom water as well as the mushroom itself gave it another "dimension".
We had that for lunch, paired with fried fish! Loved it! :)
Appreciate much your taking the time to share and link your food posts here at Food Friday! :)
Please don't forget to add a link back to this site (you can get the buttons here; deciding to use text instead of buttons is fine also) to be able to add your posts below. Many thanks and hope everyone is going to have a great time this weekend!
get the InLinkz code